Here are 10 easy health-eating tips to help manage your diabetes and live a healthier life.
These 10 healthy-eating hacks can be used by anyone looking to make lifestyle changes, but are particularly useful for people with diabetes or those who may be pre-diabetic. Managing diabetes involves making mindful food choices to help control blood-sugar levels.We do recommend consulting with your medical doctor or a dietician for a tailor-made sustainable healthy-eating plan that suits your lifestyle best.
10 Food Healthy-Eating Hacks For Diabetics
- Choose whole, unprocessed foods – whole grains, vegetables, lean proteins.
- Control your portions – be mindful of your portion sizes to help manage your carbohydrate intake. Try using smaller plates and having a large glass of water before meals.
- Go for fibre – foods high in fibre (like lentils) can help stabilise blood-sugar levels. They can also help you feel fuller for longer.
- Choose lean protein – tofu, fish and legumes are good options.
- Limit refined carbs – try to avoid having white bread, sugary cereals and pastries.
- Cook healthier – try grilling, steaming, sauteing or using an air fryer instead of frying foods.
- Drink more plain water – this will help you manage portions and reduce fatigue.
- Snack smart – fill your house with healthy snacks, like hummus and vegetables sticks, nuts and blueberries.
- Mind your labels – always read the labels when grocery shopping. You’ll be surprised at the hidden salts and sugars in processed or ready-made meals.
- Meal plan – planning well-balanced meals in advance will help you stick to your dietary goals and needs.