Hotter weather definitely calls for lighter eating and I love whipping up salads with the incredible seasonal produce we get in South Africa.
Spring time means we have all those delicious greens, like asparagus and peas and all those vibrant, fresh herbs in season through to summer.
Here’s how to make an epic salad celebrating these greens that won’t leave you hungry!
1 lemon, zested and juiced
180 to 200g tenderstem broccoli, sliced in thirds
1 clove garlic, finely sliced
180 to 200g asparagus stems, sliced in thirds
180 to 200g courgettes, sliced into thick segments
2 large handfuls mixed lettuce leaves
1 handful rocket
1 large avocado, sliced (optional)
1 handful basil, chopped
1 handful coriander, chopped
¼ cup pumpkin seeds, toasted
¼ cup sunflower seeds, toasted
¼ cup almonds, chopped, toasted
Pinch salt and pepper (optional)
Red wine vinegar / sherry vinegar
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Add in a splash of olive oil and allow the oil to heat gently before adding the broccoli pieces. Once they’ve been cooking for a minute, add the garlic slices and a teaspoon of lemon juice and sauté for another one to two minutes further. Remove the broccoli and set aside in a bowl.
- In the same pan, now add the asparagus, along with another teaspoon of lemon juice and sauté quickly, until the asparagus has just cooked slightly. You want the veg to be vibrant and crunchy! Set the asparagus aside with the broccoli.
- Place the courgette thick slices into the pan with another teaspoon of lemon juice. Sauté until slightly golden in areas, but still crunchy. Remove and set aside with the other veg.
- Begin to assemble the salad in a large bowl or platter, starting with the lettuce and rocket. Place the sautéed veg on top and then add the slices of fresh avo, if using (a nice alternative to avo can be grilled aubergine slices).
- Garnish with the herbs, seeds and nuts and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Scatter over the lemon zest and add a drizzle of olive oil and vinegar. Serve immediately, tossing to combine all the flavours.