This meal combo is a great one to prep for family around the festive season and it’s easy to make too! These recipes have been extracted from my cookbook called Love Food or Liefdeskos (for the Afrikaans version), which is on sale from 6 December.
These recipes also all happen to be gluten-free and dairy-free – but no one needs to know that…
400g boneless, skinless trout (or salmon)
1 shallot, sliced into super-thin rings
2 spring onions, finely sliced
1 tbsp finely chopped chives
2 to 3 limes, one cut into six thin wedges
2 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra
Pinch chilli flakes
Fresh tarragon or flat-leaf parsley leaves, for garnishing
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Slice the trout into one-centimetre pieces.
- Place the shallot, spring onions and chives in a glass bowl. Add the zest from one lime and one tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice, as well as the sesame oil, one tablespoon olive oil and a pinch of chilli flakes. Whisk to combine, then add the fish, tossing to combine. Taste to check the flavour and add more lime juice, if needed.
- Divide the tartare between six small plates or bowls and garnish each with a few tarragon or parsley leaves, a drizzle of olive oil and a thin lime wedge.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Rack of lamb with steamed potatoes and greens
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp mustard
1 tbsp fennel seeds
1 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 lemon, zested and juiced
750 to 900g rack of lamb
3 to 4 large fennel bulbs
Steamed baby potatoes
Simple green salad
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Combine the garlic, mustard, fennel seeds, salt and pepper in a bowl with one tablespoon olive oil and half the zest. Rub all over the lamb.
- Cut the fennel bulbs into slices and place in a large roasting tray. Keep some fresh fronds aside for garnishing. Drizzle olive oil over the slices, then place the lamb on top. Pour the lemon juice over the lamb and fennel, then sprinkle over the rest of the zest. Roast for 30 minutes.
- Remove the lamb and let it rest for 10 minutes. Place the fennel back in the oven to keep cooking in the meantime. Once rested, slice the lamb and serve on the fennel with some extra fresh fronds.
Coconut Yoghurt Tarts
1½ to 2 cups cashew nuts
7 medjool dates, pitted
1 cup dairy-free coconut yoghurt
Pinch vanilla seeds (or 1 tsp vanilla essence)
1 tbsp agave syrup
Fresh mint leaves
Sprinkle of icing sugar
- Place one and a half cups of cashew nuts and the dates in a food processor. Blitz until well combined (add more cashews if needed, so the mixture is sticky, but workable).
- Spray six mini tartlet trays (or one large tart tray) with baking spray, then press the date and nut mixture into the tray(s) and place in the freezer for one hour.
- Mix the yoghurt, vanilla and agave together.
- Remove the tart(s) bases from the freezer and spoon the yoghurt mixture inside. Top with the raspberries.
- Serve the tart(s) with a few sprigs of mint and a light sprinkle of