Other than the bathroom test (we know you know), here are ways to know that you might be dehydrated and how to easily up your water intake so that you can spend your festive season feeling great!
There are some obvious signs that you’re dehydrated, including feeling “thirsty” and having dark urine. But, really, we should be nipping those in the bud!
Here are more subtle signs that you’re not drinking enough water:
– Your urination is infrequent. Ask yourself “when last did you urinate”?
– Your mouth feels dry.
– Your skin is dry.
– You feel a sense of fatigue or general tiredness / lack of energy.
– You may feel dizzy or light-headed.
– Your heartbeat may be more rapid.
– You may experience muscle cramps, especially when exercising.
– You have a headache.
– You’re moody or feel irritable.
All of these could be signs that you’re dehydrated! The good news is that you – most of the time – you can remedy the situation fairly quickly.
Immediately have a big glass of water and include electrolytes if possible. Sip plain water at regular intervals throughout the day and front load your water, so that you don’t wake up in the night too often.
If you’re drinking alcohol, we alternate alcoholic beverages with glasses of water to help maintain adequate hydration levels and lessen the effects of a hangover.
If the symptoms above persist or worsen, you may need medical attention. Pay special attention to small children and any older family members who may not be drinking adequate amounts of water.