There are a few reasons why eating protein at breakfast time can be super beneficial for the body. Mainly, we eat protein at breakfast time to help with muscle repair and recovery after exercise and to keep your energy levels up and feeling fuller for longer throughout the day.
After you exercise, especially after a tough or long session, it’s important to refuel and nourish the body. Studies show that the ideal amount of protein to have post exercise is 20g. This helps with muscle repair and recovery.
Here are three breakfast recipes to suit different kinds of diets that meet the 20g protein requirement post exercise.
To read more about why protein is important for your health and how much you should eat in a day, click here.
High-Protein Breakfast Recipes
Pimped Up Vegan Oats (20g protein)
- 50g oats (6.6g of protein)
- 100ml of unsweetened soya milk (3.5g protein)
- 20g unsweetened crunchy peanut butter (4.9g protein)
- 30g chia seeds (5g protein)
- *option to add some chopped dates or maple syrup for sweetness
You can make this in the morning by cooking the oats in the soya milk and then stirring the other ingredients in, or make this as an overnight oats pot, by combining all the ingredients together in a sealable jar and placing in the fridge overnight.
Eggs on Toast (21.2g protein)
- 1 slice seeded rye bread (3.2g protein)
- Olive oil
- 3 x large eggs (18g protein)
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- *option to add herbs or baby spinach for some greens
Toast one 50g slice of seeded 100% rye bread. While this is toasting, add a drizzle of olive oil to a pan set over medium heat. Whisk your eggs together in a bowl and then pour into the pan to make scrambled eggs. Season to taste.
Powwow Smoothie (23.3g protein)
- 1 frozen banana (1.3g protein)
- 200ml unsweetened soya milk (7g protein)
- 35g superfood plant protein powder (15g protein)
- A handful of ice
Blitz all together in a blender for a quick and easy smoothie.
For another great smoothie recipe, click here.
*Please note that protein amounts may vary slightly depending on which products you choose to buy, so read the packaging carefully and adjust as needed.